To be considered for the Riziki program, children need to meet the following requirements:
1. Live in the Kibera Slum.
2. Be aged between 5 and 10 years of age at the time of acceptance.
3. Have no other siblings already in the Riziki program.
4. Must attend the monthly program held on the 3rd Sunday of the month.
5. When they graduate from secondary school, they must volunteer for 12 months at Riziki.
The Riziki Child Assistance Program was established to help keep children in school.
For families living on $2 a day finding money for school fees, uniforms, books and tuition fees can be near impossible. It often leads to students dropping out mid year and then having to enter the same level the following year (if they can pay the fees). It is not uncommon to have students over the age of 20 studying at high school.
Riziki is dependent upon the generosity of our partners. Each partner is given a sponsorship number, child profile and a letter from their child three times a year. In addition, videos of the Riziki children are posted on our Facebook and YouTube sites.
Child sponsorship has been proven to be most effective in transforming lives of young people. We have a number of ways for you to partner with us. Check out our Get Involved page for details.
Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world. Nelson Mandela
What Riziki Provides
Riziki commits the following to each child:
1. To pay for the school fees.
2. To pay for school associated costs.
3. To provide for a birth certificate.
4. To give each child a school uniform.
5. To have each family visited by our social worker.
6. To pray for each child regularly.
7. To assist them in their future choices.
8. To provide for vocational training once secondary school is completed.